Saturday, April 29, 2017

Pisgah - Big Ivy and Mill River

April 18
Rudy wrapped up van repair stuff (ended up not needing to do much, but replaced some brake sensors) and I got in a decent run of ten miles of sidewalk and gravel path, more than intended, but I enjoyed it. After a little cleanup, cheesecake, and farewells, we departed Boone and headed a couple hours south to Pisgah National Forest Big Ivy area northeast of Asheville. Kind of a damp day, and we didn't do anything too ambitious. Rudy finally opened the coconut - seemed past its prime and we weren't brave enough to sample. I took a nice stroll and looked up some flowers despite the spotty service.

Violas
Fern and geranium
Trillium
Bellwort

Ate shells and cheese with mushrooms and played Hand and Foot - one win each.

April 19
Light rain in the morning, but no significant precipitating, and I was motivated to run! I went up, up, up the gravel road a bit over an hour, took an old road bed of more rolling hills, which was a bit grassy with a few mucky spots.  Most of the descending was on a short, way too steep stretch of singletrack (actually my slowest mile of the run!), then back on the gravel road. Rudy biked more of the singletrack in the area - we actually met as he was pushing his bike up the steep stretch I descended. After three hours and 15 miles on my feet, I enjoyed lots of eating and wandering around looking at flowers, and the sun actually came out!

Foam Flower
Butterflies!
Another Bellwort





Jack in the Pulpit!!!

Rudy finished up a bike ride, lunched, and got back out again! I eventually got on the bike too, just an out and back on the gravel road, taking stops for photos on the way that I didn't make time for during the run, so barely faster than the run. I had fun though.

Duthman's Breeches, I think
This was pretty cool in the fog too
The fault makes this look fake
Cool cliff and magnolias


With the lack of sun, I took a pretty tepid solar shower, but at least the weather was nice. Rudy returned from ride two and a clean up in the creek just in time for food. My favorite gruel of split peas and sweet potatoes, followed by Hand and Foot - one win each.

April 20
Another cool and drizzly morning with scattered thunderstorms forecast for the day. We headed toward Asheville, some along the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway. Stopped in town for groceries and a little wifi and caffiene gorging at Starbucks, then continued further down Blue Ridge Parkway and into more of the Pisgah National Forest southwest of Asheville. Rudy's first camping option was to be near Bent Creek Experimental Forest, but there was a closed gate at the access road. So we went further south and ended up in the Mills River area of Pisgah National Forest, where camping is allowed at designated sites only. Found one decent drive in spot that was next to an already occupied site with dogs that barked, but didn't seem problematic. A few bouts of light rain during the afternoon, nothing major though, and I got out for a stroll along the Funneltop Mountain trail. Rudy biked some of the surrounding singletrack, just checking things out, and reported most areas were wet, but mostly rocky and sandy base meant the mud wasn't bad at all - and he saw a bear! I just saw some birds.

nice view
magnolias

Rudy was back past regular dinner time, and I was contemplating if I should go look for him! No need though. We made quick and delicious bean burritos and played one game each of Hand and Foot and 3-13, Leslie's night for both games!

April 21
A cool but pleasant morning - the forecast pushed the chance of thunderstorms into the afternoon, which was lucky for Rudy. When he thought rain would start before noon, he had planned to bike early, but slept in instead! Both of us got out for a bike ride. I checked out some of the 'intermediate' trail nearby - still way too advanced for me, lots of walking up, and even down, the steeper rooty sections. Still, a nice day, cool scenery, and only one minor crash.

An awesome overlook, worth a little detour
I swear the trail is steeper than it looks

Being Friday, by early afternoon, we acquired some new neighbors, with horses, a dog, two little kids, and a chainsaw - really no issues to complain about though! Rudy enjoyed his ride and actually came across some guys he rode with a few years ago when he was in the area for work. The afternoon did bring thunderstorms, reading, and puzzling. Dinner was pasta, then Hand and Foot - one win each.

April 22
A beautiful day, we each got out for longer respective bike and run. Black Mountain for Rudy - one of the more famed technical downhill trails in the area. Pink Beds and Barnet Branch trails for me, plus gravel road to get to and from. I managed to get in over half, mostly easy singletrack for the 31+ mile outing with nothing to complain about - one little tumble to get my arms dirty.

On Barnet Branch, the only picture I got myself to take on the run

Refueled with plenty of lentils and quinoa and relaxed with more Hand and Foot - one win each.

April 23
Lots of rain overnight and through the whole day. I got out to hike a couple hours anyhow in the morning - luckily light rain for most, though the precipitation picked up near the end so I got to finish up nicely soggy. We ran the van a bit to help dry things out, and add a little warmth as the temperature steadily dropped down into the 40s! So lots of van time, watched Straight Outta Compton, lots of tea, puzzling and reading. I was feeling confident enough after the prior day's run to sign up for Kettle Morraine 100 mile in early June, probably too soon, but yeah... We continued the rainy day tradition of soaked black beans and rice, and played Hand and Foot - two Leslie wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment