Wednesday, September 14, 2016

2016 Wasatch Front 100 Mile

This event is something I was very excited, and very scared for, especially as race day neared and I wasn’t getting in the ‘Wasatch-specific’ training I had hoped to. July and August were spent in the Pacific Northwest, and while I had gotten in a little heat, elevation, and rocky trail training – a lot of it was cooler temps, near the coast, and cushy trails. I had plenty of volume, steep climbs and descents, and rest going for me, but still didn’t know if that would be enough to cover the other shortcomings. Well, it was. I didn’t realize it until after the race was over, but for 100 miles, it went very well. I did have little struggles with heat, altitude, and pounding, a few mini-disasters and injury threats, and was feeling unworthy of the course and doubtful for much of the nearly 30 hours out there. But looking back, I did a great job of appreciating the beautiful scenery, the people, my ability to be able to do this at all, and kept moving steadily. I only had a few hours of true ‘lows’ and really, they weren’t very debilitating, and I never even started to consider dropping. I love that I was able to run into the finish, and have been feeling good and relatively mobile in the days following. But shouldn’t I be in more significant pain? I don’t know where I would have pushed more though, so for the amount of training this flatlander logged for this event, no regrets.



Just a warning, my race report is excessively detailed, dry, and more for my own learning for future events. Also, I didn’t get a whole lot of pictures. So! Don’t feel obligated to read.

We were able to sleep right at the start line, so I could have gotten more sleep, if I’d been able to...at 3 am, I let myself get out of bed for the 5 am start. I had my usual pre-long run/race breakfast of coffee (first one in a week, lovely!), a banana, and overnight-soaked oats with chia seeds, peanut butter, and honey. I took my time getting dressed, making sure there were no seams or funny folds anywhere, filling my water, and did a little rearranging of my pack. I had planned to start with gloves on and a buff over my ears, but the start area was 60F instead of the 50F forecast, so I packed those items away and went with t-shirt, shorts, and running hat. It was well after 4 before people really started showing up – not a lot of preparation or warm up needed to start 100 miles! I paced around a little, found my Minnesota friends and shared some nervous chatter. With five minutes to go, I took off the pants and hoodie I was keeping warm in (so nice to have the van right there!) and found a spot in the crowd of ~300 people to start. I was probably a little closer to the front than I should have been, but wasn’t too worried about being in the way – we had a couple of miles to get sorted out before the single track, and I made sure there were at least a few women in front of me. There was so much excitement amongst the runners, yet not much for pre-race talk from the director, all I heard was a ‘GO!’ and we were off – jogging down the road. The paved stretch did include a steep little climb that I was worried I would get sucked into running, but happily, most people slowed to hike it, and I did too.

After nearly two miles there was a short dirt road, then the climb up Bair Canyon – over 4,000 feet of elevation gain during the next five miles, mostly on rocky, and some loose, singletrack. I fell into the conga line at what felt like a good, steady pace. There was plenty of sketchy spots, really steep stretches, and some dust – but none of it as bad as what I was afraid of. There were a few people trying to dart up and around, but mostly we were all plugging along, content to pause for little stumbles ahead. Not much chatter was happening and I enjoying hearing the little creek along the trail and the breeze rustling leaves. As we went up in altitude, the temperature dropped, and my hands were starting to feel a little cold. I didn’t want to stop and dig out my gloves though – the sun would be up soon and I was sure I would be too warm before too long. As it started getting lighter and the grade eased a little, more conversation started, and I got to hear locals discussing their running friends and events. I noticed my inner knees were a little tender, a little worrisome, as there was still plenty of climbing left on the course!

We hit a gravel road and the worst of the climbing at approximately two hours, and seven miles. My hands and arms were really cold – but the sun had risen and running was about to happen, so no pause to get more clothes. Jogging felt super awkward at first, but the mostly downhill, gravel road made the transition pretty easy, and soon I felt like I was cruising! We seemed to stick to the shady side of the ridge though, and it was breezy and cool (as I should have known it would be at 7,000 feet!). I was shaking out my hands and rubbing and windmilling my arms, but they still remained worthlessly numb. We could see the great Salt Lake, and it was beautiful – but no picture taking was happening, so I stole this one from some fellow Minnesotans:

Shawn and Sam having a beautiful morning!
I maybe ran a little faster than would be wise, but I wanted more blood flow, and I didn’t feel I was pushing too hard, and wasn’t passing a lot of people. I did notice my left arch feeling a little tight, which scares me once in a while but hasn’t resulted in anything serious yet...At three hours I was able to unzip a side pocket, pull out, unwrap, and consume a fig bar. A little later start on fueling than I planned, but I had a good breakfast and could have my next snack in less than my typical ‘hourly’ if I thought I needed it. After dropping 2,000 feet on the four miles of gravel road, we went by a water stop, then into some brushy singletrack with plenty of steep little ups and downs. I kept moving steadily, and was a little disheartened by a couple of people cruising by me effortlessly, discussing parenting challenges, but I didn’t try to go any harder. I think I had a tropical e-gel somewhere in that stretch. I hit the first aid station, Bountiful B, at a little over four hours for 16.41 miles. I took just a few minutes to put away the headlamp, get my drop bag in my pack, and eat a little fruit and canned potatoes from the aid station – also grabbed a couple Jolly Ranchers for later. I love hard candy for ultras, but I don’t notice it very often.

Cruising the early miles
There were continued ups and downs on jeep trails coming out of Bountiful B. Surprisingly, I was already on my own for some stretches. There was one guy that caught up on a hike that did slow down to chat a bit. He was from Hong Kong (though by appearance and accent, I think originally European) and was trying to take it easy and run by heart rate – he actually has another 100-miler coming up in two weeks. Apparently he stayed under 150 beats per minute for the whole climb up Bair Canyon. We discussed running and training in general, and he shared some stories of challenges he had at The Bear and Cascade Crest races. It was great sticking with him, I’m pretty sure I hiked more of the less steep hills and flats than I would have otherwise, and I was already starting to worry I started too hard. I had another fig bar before we reached the next aid station – Sessions Lift Off at 20.66 miles, a little over five hours in. I wasn’t interested in stopping at all, but did pause for my new buddy to mix up something in his water bottle before we continued on. There was a loose sandy descent out of the aid station, but as another runner went by us, he mentioned the climb to the next aid station being a ‘bear’ as he got out his trekking poles. He wasn’t kidding. It was nice to have that warning and we started up the technical, switch-backy trail at a steady, but maintainable pace...at least that’s what I was thinking at the time. The chatter died off and we both encouraged each other to not worry about pulling ahead, which I eventually did, commenting I would probably see him soon – I planned to be at Big Mountain Pass for a little while. I did see later that he dropped though. After gaining 1,000 feet in two miles, the rest of the section was rolling along an open ridge with lovely sage brush smells and big views. 

On the way to Swallow Rocks
I savored a pineapple gu, interesting combination with the sage aroma. Eventually I fell into a small train of a few other runners with no one interested in passing, and we naturally drifted apart and together. At one point I heard a yelp and saw flailing ahead, but by the time I registered the guy in front of me yelling ‘Bees! Bees! Bees!’ it was too late and I was swatting away whatever was stinging my face – damn those hurt! A couple stings on my upper lip and one on my lower, but no reactions, and in less than an hour it didn’t bother me at all….except I was dreading running into any more! The last stretch of the section was pretty brushy, making the trail hard to see in spots and causing a few stumbles. Mostly gradual downhill for the final mile to the aid station was nice though! I hit Swallow Rocks at 27.21 miles just before seven hours. I grabbed a little watermelon and a few pretzels before ensuring they had me recorded as departing, as that would release my crew to go to the next aid station. I found out later that the crew staging area didn’t note that I had left Swallow Rocks until almost half an hour later – but my crew still made it in time! More running along the ridgeline, up and down and up and down, and I was starting to notice and worry that my legs were a bit sore and tired. 

Nearing Big Mountain Pass
I distracted myself with geeking out over the cool conglomerate and sandstone rocks along the side of the trail. A lot of switchbacks and excess ribbons and pink flamingos welcomed us into to Big Mountain Pass aid station at 31.66 miles, about eight hours in. This place was pretty crazy! But my dad and Rudy found me right away, and got my water filled while I took advantage of the portapotties although I didn’t really have to go. Only ~60 ounces of water consumed and first pee at eight hours, I needed to step up the drinking. I got a little cleaned up with a wet wipe and applied fresh sunscreen before looking to the aid station table for food. I was excited to see real potatoes! I had a small one of those. Then, I was bummed to see all the fruit was in small bagged portions – I guess good for convenience and keeping bugs off, but I immediately sent four plastic bags to a landfill getting a few chunks of melon and a couple orange slices. I also spotted a lemonade gu – I stashed that in my pack for another caffeine free gel, since I didn’t think I had many more.

I started the long climb out of the aid station thinking I may have already wrecked my race, you can’t really recovery from muscle soreness during an event, and I still had a long ways to go! I resolved to relax and focus on hydrating and enjoying the experience. This was a great section for that – there were some nice fall colors, even some cactus, and great views of the Little Dell Reservoir once the climb was done. 


 

The ridge top was exposed and warm though. Eventually there was a good amount of steep, loose downhill and I started noticing a weird sensation on the outside of my right knee – not painful, but just seemed like if I stepped wrong it could give out completely – this was a new feeling for me! Before long I also noticed a blister forming on the inside of my left heel. All these little niggles cropping up in the first third of the run really had me anxious! Fueling was still good though – I had a small brownie, and the refreshing lemonade gu during this section.

At the next Aid Station, Alexander Ridge at 39.49 miles, a little over ten hours, I just grabbed ice for my hat and the course continued on under an exposed power line. Some initial downhill, then another 1,000 foot climb over the course of two miles – half was on singletrack though, so that helped make it more interesting. I got to share the climb with a guy living in Seattle, but originally from Russia, so I didn’t catch everything he was saying! I did gather he was pretty excited about him and his wife recently getting into ultras, unfortunately she was injured and couldn’t pace him as originally planned – at least she could crew though! After we started descending again, he jumped in with a faster group, but I think he finished just over 29 hours – at least I hope that Russian name in the results is his! I wasn’t solo for long – I ended up running with a local who was getting through his first 100 miler! We ended up discussing more non-running topics, including backgrounds, resulting in him calling me ‘Minnesota’ and laughing at me taking pictures of rocks. I think I pulled away from him at some point, as the last mile or so of this section I was on my own. I had another brownie, but it was dry and difficult to get down. I planned to fill my water and find some non-sweet food at the next aid station. My knee was not bothering me on the gentle downhill, so that was good. This stretch of the course was a little evil though….we could see the aid station, but we ran away from it another half mile before turning back and running along the freeway. It was an interesting trail though, essentially the freeway ditch, but through cattails and reeds along a little creek. We went past the aid station again, then turned back to come up a steep little hill with spectators and volunteers cheering as you felt like a tool hiking up this little hill! Lambs Canyon was at 45 miles, just under 12 hours for me. This aid station did not seem as organized and servicing as the previous ones, but with no crew access, and the day wearing on, I can see how they may have been a bit more occupied. I found my own drop bag and filled my own water, then looked for some food, my tummy was feeling a little rough. I tried a hummus wrap, but it tasted off (if it was me or the hummus, I don’t know), I managed a few bites, then went with the familiar fruit and potatoes, along with a couple ounces of ginger ale – not as much low sugar items as I planned! One volunteer did take the time to ask how I was doing and tell me about the next section – a lot of climbing, two miles of paved road, some trail, then another three miles of paved road, and the aid station will be cold! That was really good to know going into it! I got some ice in my hat and headed for the pavement.

Not far into the first paved stretch, my Garmin was doing its low battery goofiness and would not let me back into the run to save it, but the time was still displayed, so I just let that stay on until it died completely (the watch stayed on the rest of the way, but my run data was lost.) Hiking up the road was OK, but once I hit the trail, I started to struggle. My stomach was not happy, and my head and body felt too hot. I kept pressing the ice down on my head, but that didn’t seem to do much – I was wishing for a shaved head! Lots of people went cruising by, many with fresh pacers, chatting and in high spirits. One lady was telling her pacer to be easy on her, since she was so slow! I said something along the lines of “Awe c’mon! You just flew by me!” feigning insult, it was good for a brief smile. I was trying to appreciate the creek and the woods, but I was really doubting myself – not even half way through and I was hurting, tired, etc. I managed to choke down a plain gu. When my hat ice melted I took off the hat – felt no cooler, I wore it backwards, and that did help having the wet bill next to my neck. As I stepped aside for yet another couple sailing by, I heard ‘Minnesota! How are you doing?’ I admitted I was not doing awesome. My local buddy’s pacer offered a gel. I just had one. He had salt, and magnesium too. Well, I had my own S-caps, may as well try that! I thanked them and wished them a good run as I fished a salt pill out of my pack and got it down the hatch. Before long, I was feeling better – whether it was the slower going, gu, salt tab, or end of the climb, I don’t know, but I was so happy to be closer to normal. I eventually caught back up to the local and found out he had covered the whole course over the summer. I heard someone say at the beginning that the final 25 miles are harder than people expect, and he confirmed that – a lot of downhill, but some technical stuff and still 4,000 feet of climbing in there. We hit pavement again and three miles of hiking up. I chatted with another first timer and his pacer as the locals pulled away. There were very few people I could keep up with hiking, definitely an area of improvement for me! I did leave the younger guys eventually though and started in on my trail mix – I had forgotten it was easily accessible in my pack all along – I may have been able to manage it with my numb hands, and it was a more savory option when that was what I was looking for, but I had it now! My hands and arms were cooling quickly, so I pulled my rain jacket on and plugged along, feeling content. When I reached the aid station, Upper Big Water, 53.54 miles 14.5 hours, there was some excited little boys all about cheering and helping out. They got my drop bag and fetched me some hot broth while I got out my gloves and put my jacket on under the pack. I thought about putting the headlamp on here, but figured I wouldn’t mind the extra break in half an hour or so to get it out. The little boy apologized that there were some noodles in my broth, but I was OK with that, really it was probably better that way! There was lots of hiking coming up with another 2,000 feet of altitude gained to the next aid station.

Darkness came on quick, I think I only went 10 minutes before stopping to get the head lamp on. I also remembered my Jolly Ranchers! I thought they may make good timers for drinking after the watch died. It took 20 minutes to finish one, and by then I was pretty hungry and immediately had a fig bar. I actually enjoyed traveling through the dark solo, I even paused to turn off my headlamp and look at the stars, even with a half moon, they were wonderful. There was an interesting bird/animal call as I passed a small lake, and a couple guys peeing off the side of the trail. I teased them that I thought they were trying to find the strange creature! I actually needed to take my second pee somewhere in this stretch, but managed to go unnoticed. I even went by a couple groups of hikers, some with lights and some without. Finally reached the next aid station, Desolation Lake at 58.43 miles, 16.5 hours. I mistakenly heard someone say sweet potatoes, but there was just regular potatoes. I asked for some soup, thinking there may be a veggie option, but no options! I was handed a cup of what seemed to be chicken noodle, vegetable, and ramen combined – hit the spot though! I asked what mile we were at and was told 58. I despaired at having taken nearly two hours to cover four miles, not realizing at the time that the section was closer to 5 miles, and more climbing than it seemed, and I was over 9,500 feet in altitude at this point! So, I was feeling perplexed that I couldn’t even maintain 3 miles an hour, and I still had over 40 miles to go, and ten miles until I got to the hard part! I expected I would just deteriorate and maybe I couldn’t make it to the end...but I just kept moving forward, looking at the stars again. During the next singletrack climb, I met quite a few mountain bikers – must have been a surprise to meet hundreds of runners during their night ride! After the climb I had my second Jolly Rancher, then went for a sip of water and noted I was just about empty – should have checked that at the last aid station! I thought there was one more aid station before Brighton, but I wasn’t sure. I went a little longer before having a plain gu and finishing my water. I figured if I still had over an hour to the next aid, I could probably get down some dried fruit from my trail mix and be OK. There was another aid station though! I hit Scotts Peak at mile 62.34 in just under 18 hours. I asked if there were any hot potatoes, and they were pretty excited that I was the first customer for mashed potatoes! I got enough water to get me to Brighton and asked about mileage here – someone guessed 63, so I thought that I just put in five miles in just over an hour, and that made me feel better (it was actually less than 4 miles, but whatever.) I vocalized that maybe I could make Brighton by midnight, and another runner concurred - absolutely, it is just four miles of downhill!

The next section was ~4.5 miles, mostly downhill, but the first few miles were a pretty rugged jeep road that I stayed conservative on. Then a couple of miles of running down a paved road that felt like I was moving along well on, and I passed a few people, but must not have been going too awful fast. The last stretch to the aid station was more gradual uphill and some weaving through parking lots. I was glad we had looked at this area on Thursday after I met another runner emerging from a dirt road, having taken a little extra climb. The temperature was dropping quickly and I knew what I was currently wearing wouldn’t cut it 2,000 feet higher up. I couldn’t remember if I had a long sleeve with my crew, but I knew I had long socks I could put on my arms...I finally reached Brighton aid station, mile 67, just a few minutes after midnight, 19 hours.
Not feeling the best, but happy to get to my crew!

Happily the aid station was indoors – it was soooo cold and windy out. Aid station volunteers were quick to get my drop bag and a cup of hot broth. Awesome Rudy procured some pants and a long sleeve shirt from our friend Lisa (sadly she wouldn’t need them for pacing our other buddy who dropped out), I would not have been OK in shorts. This was my longest aid station stop at 23 minutes, we stayed productive with getting the extra clothes on, Rudy filling my water, Marcus helping me get fried potatoes and a few ounces of Coke, and I made a trip to the bathroom (again, for convenience). I may have been dragging my feet a little – I was not feeling super awesome and I was definitely wary of the 2,000 foot climb to 10,450’ ‘Point Supreme’ of the course, and the reportedly steep, loose descent that followed – but I also just wanted to get it done. We searched for more Jolly Ranchers, but found none and I settled for a mint Life Saver for the road. I thanked everyone profusely and Rudy and I headed out into the 30F night.

I was instantly shivering violently and hoped that strong hiking would warm me up enough. As we hiked away from the lodge, there was a big, bearded, cowboy-hatted dude cheering excessively, exclaiming ‘You got this!’ and directing us to turn right up that trail – that was pretty awesome! 
Rudy is fired up for the climb!

In just a few minutes, the shivering did stop, but I was still struggling. My tummy was a little off, I felt tired and slow, and maybe a slight headache. Did I not eat enough? Too much? Were the potatoes too oily? Coke a bad idea? Just altitude and fatigue? I felt like I could not move my leg slower if I wanted to, and I was breathing too hard, but we just kept plugging along, getting passed by dudes with trekking poles, passing others debating if they could make it. Up and up big rocks. I made one stop to dig out another S-cap, and I think there may have been another just stop for a breather along the way. It was tough going, but it actually went by quickly and I was surprised when someone snacking on the side of the trail announced we made it – I didn’t even noticed Catherine’s Pass! We didn’t pause to savor the moment, but kept moving to get on with the descent. It was long, steep and rocky, but not as loose as I feared, so that was nice – plus I was feeling a little better (may have been more like distracted with navigating down). Two miles of this was exhausting, and I was relieved to see a sign for the aid station, complete with a menu, but it was still several minutes further down, and now I was thinking about food and less able to concentrate! We made it unscathed to Ant Knolls, 71.54 miles, a little before 22 hours. We actually sat down a couple minutes and I enjoyed some miso ginger soup with noodles.

I don’t remember anything in particular from the next section – it started with a climb back over 9,000 feet, then some rolling, then a little descent before Pole Line Pass aid station at 74.72 miles, 23 hours. I was super happy that I had the stomach to eat one of the homemade pierogies here – so delicious! Rudy also tackled a breakfast burrito while I packed the spare batteries and gels from my drop bag. A volunteer informed us the next section was long – ten miles, but there was a water stop about four miles in. Not long after heading out, I started getting aggravated with the climbs. I knew we still had a few thousand feet to get down to the finish, but we kept doing more uphill! Rudy looked at the course maps to see we were still over 9,000 feet – I guess a good reason to be feeling slow. A caffeinated gel seemed like a good idea, and Rudy helped unzipper the gel pocket, and pulled out a cucumber mint gu – NO! Not sure when I’ll be brave enough to try that one...the espresso flavored one was acceptable though. I continued to feel hungry and ate a good amount of my trail mix through here. It took an hour and a half to reach the water stop, I was so disgusted with that and hopes for getting under 30 hours were fading quickly. We still had over 4,000 feet to get down, but would have to average five miles an hour to make it. Happily, the water stop did have a couple snacks and I grabbed a granola bar, figuring it would be good in about an hour when we should be about halfway to the next aid station. It didn’t even make it half an hour. I was getting increasingly angry, every downhill was followed by an uphill, making the next downhill just a little more painful...and making another downhill. The descents were rocky and sketchy, with ruts that were hard to decipher in the dark, and there was a lot of back and forth with guys with trekking poles. Luckily, some one that knew the course announced and described ‘the Plunge’ just as we started on it so we were on our guard. This went down ~700 feet in half a mile of essentially a rut of a trail, mostly loose with a couple inches of dust. It was still dark so impossible to see most of the way down. I also got a lot of dust packed into the front of my shoes here – would that create some nasty abrasion, or blisters?? The Plunge was pretty scary, but I have to admit it was also fun, and we didn’t have any real crashes, so all good. It was starting to get light and still we were going up and down and up and down and I was just cursing it – I didn’t know if I could handle all the true descending being like the Plunge, when my legs would be even more shot! I think I finished my trail mix shortly after. We actually finished the section with a relatively gradual descent and I was feeling pretty good. I chalked it up to the sunrise boost, which I had not had the joy of experiencing yet. We reached Pot Hollow, 84.54 miles, at about 26.5 hours. It was cold here, but the sun was up, so removed pants and jacket, had a cup of soup, and kept moving. I was surprised to see it was still before 8 am. We would need to cover 15 miles in 3 hours for a 30 hour finish – possible, I guess, but still seemed unlikely.

Savoring the sunrise!
There were four climbs in this section, each a little smaller than the previous, and on gravel road. My legs were sore, but energy was good and we were moving well and passing people. I think we even ‘ran’ up that fourth little hill (really, a bump in the road). We reached Staton, 89.27 miles, just before 9 am. We still had 2,000 feet to loose, and less technical trails for the rest. I knew there would be at least a little more climbing, but I told Rudy I thought we had a chance at sub-30 hours. We saw my local friend here too - “Minnesota!” we shared a fist bump and were both happy that we were feeling better than expected at this point. I took off the long sleeve shirt as Rudy got us enough water to finish, and I grabbed another lemonade gu and a small handful of trail mix from the aid station and we were on our way. Rudy figured we needed to average 11 minute miles to make it – not knowing how fast we were actually going, or precisely what lay ahead, it seemed best to go hard and hope we were moving that speed. We quickly caught the local guy and his pacer and Rudy excitedly told them we were going for under 30 hours, and they should too. I heard some mumbling about ‘impossible’ and ‘pipe dream’, but they stuck with us. I focused on steady, hard breathing, pushing downhills and jogging up what I could, but some hiking still happened when the breathing got too heavy. This was hard, but definitely fun – going back and forth with our new buddies, passing others and trying to get them to come along (none did). Rudy is not a runner, so I think we were struggling about the same amount. He was awesome – kept encouraging me and letting me know I could ditch him – I definitely was not holding back so he could keep up though – we were both working hard! There were a lot of intersections in the final ten miles and I was happy to be by someone who had done this part before. There were also three cattle gates to get through – it was perfect having one pacer sprint up, get their runner through, hold the gate for the next pacer to take over, get their runner through, then close the gate. We ran through the final aid station, Decker Canyon, 93.58 miles, at 9:50 am – 70 minutes to get six miles in – no slacking off! The locals pulled ahead a bit, but would still whoop and cheer back at us on occasion. I was really loving Rudy at this point, for getting so fired up to give this a go and motivating others to try too, even though it seemed ridiculous to try covering the final ten miles of 100 in less than two hours. The elation was tempered quickly by all the little ups that just kept coming! I couldn’t get over the nonstop hills on this course, but I kept pushing. It felt like a 10k effort to me – how could I hold that for another hour? But I just had to keep trying. I downed the lemonade gu a little after 10am, hoping it would help more than hurt...luckily no ill effects. I knew there was goofy looping around on the road at the finish, so I tried not to get too excited or let off once we could see the pavilion. We hit the pavement with about a half mile to go, at 10:45, but kept pushing. It felt like the pace slowed quite a bit, this was a little uphill and it was demoralizing to see other runners that looked so far ahead but still not at the finish! I was nearly in tears, amazed at how brutal the course felt to me. But we did make it across the finish in 29:51, the local about a minute ahead.

I was pretty happy to get under 30 hours!
Hugs all around! We weren’t projected to be in for another hour, so dad and Marcus missed it, luckily Lisa happened to cheer us in, along with Sam (though I was a little bummed to see Sam, since that meant she had dropped). This is when I finally realized that my run wasn’t a disaster, even though I felt convinced for most of it that I was doing awful. Really, I couldn’t have expected it to go much better. My niggles didn’t turn into anything, the sand in my shoes didn’t hurt anything, my muscles were sore, but not excruciating, nor were the little blisters on my feet. My stomach and energy did some flagging, but mostly stayed under control and I wasn’t terribly dehydrated, sun burned or chafed. And I RAN, HARD after going 90 miles, and still felt fine at the finish. Of course I could have been better prepared, but the training and studying of the course I did manage to get in resulted in what I consider a success.

The rest of the day was great – there were actual showers, inspiring finishes to see, friends and fellow runners to chat with, and a decent post-race sandwich bar to enjoy on a lovely afternoon. I’m thinking I won’t run this one again – there are so many other races to experience out there! But I would recommend this event, especially to anyone that likes climbing, a lot, over and over and over again!

A few items for my own information:
1:49 spent at aid stations (15 of them, plus two water stations)
~250 oz water
1 e-gel
6 gus
2 little brownies
3 fig bars
~1.5 cups trail mix
4 dried apricots
4 mini pretzels
3 pc.s hard candy
~1/2 orange
~2 cups watermelon
~1 cup cantaloupe
~1 cup canned/plain potatoes
~1 cup mashed potatoes
~1/2 cup fried potatoes (olive oil, I think)
few bites hummus tortilla
1 pierogie!
1 chewy granola bar
~5 cups brothy soup
~3 oz ginger ale
~3 oz coke
I guesstimate 3,500 calories during the run

No comments:

Post a Comment